Let any domestic pet put their best paw forward! Learn all the necessary know-how required to ensure their food meets their needs perfectly. Whether you need to brush up on your pet nutrition as part of your career, or simply because you’re a pet owner who would like to know more, this in-depth online course will help you to gain some valuable insight into what to feed your favourite animals.
The Importance of Diet
Like humans, every animal is different and, as such, their diet needs to be unique and suitable for their individual requirements. Sometimes, it’s not as simple as grabbing the cheapest thing off the shelf – if you want your animal, or your client’s animal, to grow healthy and happy, their diet needs to be honed to suit them. This is where this comprehensive diploma comes in!
Ten Hours of Course Material
Broken down into 17 easy-to-digest modules, the Pet Nutrition Diploma covers a range of subjects, ranging from the importance of nutrition for pets through to the different feeding stages that animals experience, depending on their age. Within 10 hours, you can learn every aspect of the course and understand more about just how vital pet nutrition is.
Links to other courses:
Key Learning Points
This course would be best suited to individuals who work with animals, particularly those who work (or want to work) within a veterinary practice or pet shop where advice and guidance would be part of their daily job role. It would also be helpful for pet owners if they wish to learn more about pet nutrition for themselves.
- Get to grips with the digestive system, and understand the difference between herbivores, omnivores and carnivores, and what they should and shouldn’t eat to complement their needs.
- Identify some of the different types of food available, how to read pet labels and ensure nutritional guidelines are followed.
- Appreciate the importance of nutrition and essential oils, and how they can help with disease prevention, maintaining a healthy weight, keeping their coat, skin and teeth healthy and helping to maintain their muscle tone and body condition.
- Understand some of the feeding stages which animals go through, and what food is available for them, including foods suitable for puppy/kitten, adult, pregnant and senior pets.
- Know what is considered a healthy weight for a pet and learn about various weight issues the pet may experience throughout their life.
- Identify some of the reasons why pets may overeat or may not eat at all.
- Recognise when it is acceptable to offer snacks and treats, and what is available.Identify foods that should be avoided
- Learn more about the nutrition of smaller pets, like rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, rats, birds and fish, and what dietary requirements they each have.
- Understand more about the diets of reptiles, and the importance of keeping a food diary when caring for them.
Advantages of this Course
- Online courseware ensures students can pick up and put down the resources whenever it suits, offering complete flexibility and convenience.
- Study whenever and wherever you like, thanks to the courseware compatibility with numerous devices and browsers.
- Industry recognised certification available upon successful completion of the multiple choice end-of-course assessment.
- Certificate can be downloaded and printed without delay.
- Online support available throughout the course.
- Improve your knowledge of pet nutrition, and further your expertise surrounding something that you love!
This course is CPD certified.
- Introducing Global Nutrition Organisations
- Food Types
- Types of Diet
- Pet Food Labels
- Muscle Tone and Body Condition
- Skin and Hair Coat Health
- Digestion and Elimination
- Immunity and Prevention of Disease
- Dog Digestive System and Anatomy
- Puppies and Kittens
- Senior Cats and Dogs
- Pregnancy in Cats/Dogs
- Healthy Pet Weight
- Weight Problems
- Pets not Eating
- Pets over Eating
- Where to buy the pet food
- Cheap versus expensive
- Vet approved foods
- Changing pet food
- What treats to feed your pet
- When to provide treats
- How to provide treats
- Where to buy treats
- Medicinal Health
- Fleas and Skin Problems
- Cautions for Pets and Herbs
- List of Herbs for Pets
- Human Food
- Foods Toxic to Dogs
- Foods Toxic to Cats
- Foods Harmful to other Pets
- Essential oils that are known to be harmful to pets
- Research on essential oils
- Aromatherapy for pets
- Use of essential oils on pet fur and skin
- Animal nutrition
- Carbohydrates and Fibre
- Minerals and Vitamins
- Guinea Pigs
- 7 nutrients required
- Amounts necessary
- Keeping the area clean
- Fish Food Ingredients
- Basic Nutrients
- Types of Food
- Regulating the Tank
- Dietary Differences Among Birds
- Seed Eating Birds
- Non-seed Eating Birds
- Switching Diets
- Reptile husbandry and how it impacts eating
- What reptiles eat
- Feeding Reptiles
- Deciding how and what to feed your reptile
- The goal of food diaries
- Recording what, when and how much
- Health Issues
- Weight loss and gain